Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm The Mama

When I think about Mother's Day, I think of my mother and my grandmother.  I don't think about the fact that I'm a mother now.  Honestly, it's a little overwhelming.  But, in honor of Mother's Day, I thought I would take the time to write down some thoughts.

Back when I was a single gal, I really questioned whether I would be a mother.  I didn't have any responsibilities... and, I liked that!  Things changed when I met the right guy.  I remember very vividly when Clark and I were on a date and we discussed whether we wanted children.  He knew without a doubt that he wanted babies, and I realized that I did, too.  See what I mean... when you find the daddy, everything changes!

Fast-forward a few years... here I am, the mother of the two most precious angels in the world.  Walker and Everly have blessed me in ways I didn't know were possible.  I have to pinch myself... A LOT.  No kidding, I will be sitting at the dinner table and will look at my babes and be overcome with joy.  I am so blessed. How in the world did I get such precious, hilarious, adorable and lovable children?

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE going into their bedrooms after they are asleep?  There is nothing more precious than my sleeping babies.

I also LOVE the way Walker calls me Mama.  He sounds like a little Italian boy.  I know it doesn't sound cute in written text.  If you heard it, you would love it, too.

And, I admit that it's not all rainbows and roses.  Some really amusing things come out of my mouth:
"Walker, please don't kick the dog."
"Everly, stop picking through the trash."
"Walker, I can't believe you just threw your entire dinner on the floor."
"Everly, are you sure you are ready to wake up?  You know, it's 6am."

But, here's the big take-away.... all of those crazy things that come out of my mouth are so worth it.  There is no better job in the world.  I am so blessed that I get to stay home with my kids.   I now know, I was meant to be a mother.

Okay, now on to "presents" for Mother's Day.  Honestly, I find it stupid.  The best "presents" in the world are my babies.  Clark has already given me the best gifts in the world.  I got one in January of 2009 and I got the second one in June of last year.  Thank you.

But, I will admit, Walker giving me his hand print in a frame this year was VERY special.  I will keep it always.

Walker and Everly, I am so honored to be your mother.  You have given more joy than I knew was possible.  I cannot wait to see you grow and learn and enjoy every single milestone that is ahead!

I love you both with all my heart!

No comments: